Printfriendly

Woohoo, Blueberries Are In Season!

Farm Fresh Blueberries!

It's a rainy week here in New Jersey. Last night we experienced high winds and torrential downpours. Our patio umbrella was picked up and flung across the yard but luckily nothing else was damaged. Despite the weather, my husband and I were able to get out for a long walk around the neighborhood. 

The walk got me thinking about blueberries and baking as our street neighbors a very large farm. We are lucky to have farm fresh blueberries five minutes away all summer. Within seconds of mentioning blueberry muffins to my husband, he was out the door and came back with 2 pints of fresh blueberries. He even sat down and wrote a little about our blueberry fields below!


Hello readers, I'm Ray, Nicole's other half! Living here in historic Mays Landing NJ we are a stone's throw away from the Atlantic Blueberry Company farm. This is the largest highbush blueberry farm in the world, stretching over 1320 acres. The blueberries are grown, harvested and packaged on site. Lucky for us, they sell the berries roadside by the pint. You can not get them any fresher!

Two brothers started the company in 1938 planting just 5 acres and made only $3.02 on their first sale. By 1946 they purchased more land and began to take on partnerships. In 1979, they purchased the farmlands on US 322 to add an additional 600 acres to their operation. To this day it is still owned and operated by the same five original owners descendants. 

Okay, back to the muffins. We found a wonderful recipe for blueberry muffins on Zagleft (link below) with the crumb topping, gathered our ingredients and got to mixing and baking.

Dry mix, including sugar.

I just threw all of the dry ingredients in one bowl and all of the wet ingredients in another (this was not in keeping with the recipe, I'm the worst at actually following directions lol). My husband busied himself making the crumb topping mixture.


There were small lumps in my batter (probably because I didn't dissolve the sugar in the wet mixture, oops). I also didn't have milk in the house so we had to improvise with some no fat powdered milk that I keep in the house for casserole recipes (at this point I'm getting worried, do we need FAT in the milk for these to rise??). No worries, as you'll see later, it didn't make a bit of difference.


My husband filled the pans 3/4 full with the batter. As you can see, he took the job seriously.

My husband filling the tins!

Let me take a second to point out my beloved Pyrex mixing bowl in the pic above.

Fill the tins 3/4's.

The tins are filled and ready for the crumb topping.

Before baking!

After the crumb topping is added. Now we put them in the oven and waited exactly 30 minutes as the recipe stated.


Here are the results! Beautiful tasty muffins, loaded with blueberries. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe, it's simply delicious and my husband and I can't stop eating them.


Look at the amount of blueberries inside these muffins, yum!


You can get the recipe here at Zagleft.com. I'd like to thank them for a great recipe!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.